Sunday, August 24, 2008

My perfect youth ministry tool

As the year winds down, and hopefully i'm edging closer to getting back into a church job, i've been thinking about what i would do first in a new position.

Outside of bibles, the first thing i would want to posses as a ministry tool is a pool table.

Why?

First if all, the pool table at Seaforth served me so well. In the three years i was youth minister, i think i only lost twice.

Building from this, the kids kept coming back to challenge me week after week (to the point where i set up a trophy for any kid who could achieve the feat).

Second, the pool table gives you a captive audience. I remember, week after week, being asked the same question over the felt... "So, hows week been?"

Over years of banter he gained an insight into my world (even if my answers usually comprised of the word "good" and a grunt) and after half a decade of trying a finally beat him...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And my name remains the ONLY name on that trophy. Thanks for the weeks and weeks of fun and finally the hard fought glory.

Anonymous said...

I agree actually, since our church got the pool table guys seem to have something to do besides destroy stuff, it is a great segway into conversation too. I found it a great anchor too, if your out at a pub or somewhere where theres a pool table I always remember the times of playing pool at church and usually bring out a story of how great church people seem to be at pool.