Sunday, May 17, 2009

Small group movie watching

I said that small group was more than just Bible study and that it should be about encountering God. To this end, i used to use a term of young adult small group to watch films and then chat about them the following week.

I figure, if i can help others view films with a lens of spirituality, then it would develop how they interact with the culture around them. Each term i would aim for a blokie film, a chick flick, an often watched film and a randomly watched movie.

Last night Ange and I watching "Angels and Demons" and i would definitely add this film to the list of small group viewings.

I liked it because, it didn't slam the church (actually i think we didn't come off half bad), it was a few hours of fun and it had good themes that could be drawn out of the film (like the balance of science and religion, amongst others).

Also on the list of films are...

Man of Fire (a blokie film where people blow up in a Denzel revenge fest)

The Breakfast Club (an 80's throwback to school culture and stereotypes)

Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (the one where Anikin turns, dealing with temptation and choice/fate)

My Best Friends Wedding (a chick flick that deals with dating and whatnot)

Keeping Mun (a dark quirky film with murder and ministry families)

The Castle (a look at Aussie culture and cause it's funny... and it has dearly departed Bud)

The Shawshank Redemption (I just love the film...)

I'm sure there would be more, but these are the ones off the top of my head...

No comments: