Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Ministry boys

Having just got back from Men's convention in Katoomba, I am reminded that, i am a man.

This wasn't always the case when returning from the annual testosterone get-together. Prior to getting married, i was in the odd world of being a-young-man-who-doesn't-have-a-missus-or-kids-with-most-of-his-hair-and-doesn't-always-understand-the-man-chuckles-that-have-occurred-all-weekend.

But now, i am almost in the core demographic. I'm just kids and a mortgage short.

Indeed, I AM A MAN!

Except in the church office where i used to work. There i was a boy.

No matter how old i was, or how often i shaved, or becoming a husband, people wondered (for both myself and my 20yo male co-worker) "What the boys are doing?"

And it bothered me. In the eyes of some of the (well meaning and quite innocent) congregation we would always be boys, not mature men. We would be elevated kids from the youth ministry, not guys in change.

In fact, it was a part of my decision to move on from my original church and ministry position.

No comments: