Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Is Youth Ministry a good option for work experience?

Last week I had a chat with a teen about my job and we somehow got onto the topic of work experience. In most schools around my area they do two separate sessions of work experience, one vocational and the other more community based.

So... Would doing work experience with your youth minister be a good idea?

Personally, I've never had a work experience kid join me, but I've seen it happen numerous times in the past.

From what I've seen, it appears to be a positive experience for all involved.

Assuming the teen is a committed Christian, it gives the student a far greater understanding of what goes on " behind the scenes." They are made aware of the numerous scripture classes and other ministries not in "their sphere," the prep that goes into each activity and the chance to experience the wider church through attending various meetings.

If I had my choice, one definite thing I'd do with the work experience student would be to read "What Matter's Most" by Doug Fields.

Even if the youth minister is not full time, the work experience kid can be farmed out amongst the other staff members to get a greater insight into other areas of the church which they may be otherwise unaware.

In nothing else, the youth minister gets to catch up on all his filling and knock off a few jobs which he's been avoiding.

Isn't that the actual point of having a work experience student?

1 comment:

G. HUBBARD said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.