Monday, August 6, 2012

Safe or less risky?

Yesterday I mentioned the finger condom I got on Friday due to an infected finger (which, three short days later, is perfectly recovered).

With my rubber protector I might have been fooled unto thinking that my finger was now safe. In reality, it just had a reduced risk of being harmed.

I think the same line of reasoning can be followed for condom use... Now I have a layer of latex, I'm safe.

The truth is that condoms do not make sex safe, they reduce the risk of pregnancy and STI's.

And only if used...

Correctly - My finger protector was only effective if it was tight against my finger.

Condom will be of greatest effectiveness if they are used properly. This means checking the use-by date, not storing them in a warm place, wearing the right size and not opening packet in a way which might damage the condom. The same applies with the use of teeth or nails in applying the condom and (not that guys would read the instructions!) putting it on in a way that the condom will work (not like a sock!). This says nothing about the way piercings or improper lube can have on the condom's integrity.

Consistently - If I removed my finger protector it would be no use. 

Condoms work if they are used for every sex act. Every time. For example, you can catch, amongst other STI's, gonorrhea in the throat...

Contact - Due to the infection, my finger wasn't the only area of pain. There was also discomfort in the vein running up my hand and lower arm. The finger condom did nothing to protect me in these areas.

To protect from an STI like genital warts or herpes, skin contact needs to be avoided. Unfortunately, condoms won't cover some areas where these appear.

Of course, while a condom might create a physical barrier during sex it will not protect you from any risk/consequences which are not physical (such as emotional).

If you're going to have sex, use a condom.
But don't fall into the trap that this piece of latex makes sex "safe."
In reality, it just makes it less risky.

No comments: