Wednesday, July 30, 2014

This is the Body of Christ... Ta Da...

Back when I was a younger man I went to a respected theology-of-youth-ministry conference interstate with a few classmates. At one stage the host invited us to share communion and use whatever wording we were comfortable with when passing the elements.

Now, I'm usually the guy who likes to crack the odd inappropriate comment, but on this occasion, someone beat me to it.

In a voice loud enough for the entire lecture room to hear, he suggested "Ta da!"

It didn't go over too well... And the Dean probably wished he invited other students.

But the episode pops into my mind whenever I help serve monthly communion.

Today, off the back of something I did last month, I asked my minister how attached he was to the "official/traditional" wording used whilst administering communion.

When holding the cup for a child to dip the bread, instead of saying "this is the blood of Christ," I said "this is to remind you how much Jesus loves you." I figured, for a child, this would give a better idea of what's going on.

If I did this to everyone, would it ruffle feathers?

For those whom see communion as more than just a reminder, would it seem like I'm cheapening the sacrament?

For those whom love communion due to the ritual, would changing the expected words take them out of "the presence of Jesus?"

But, for those who are unfamiliar with communion, are these words more useful in explaining what's actually happening?

No comments: