Sunday, March 22, 2015

Would a season of giving kid's talks make sermons better?

It's no secret that many folks in church remember as much from the "kid's talk" as they do from the sermon on a Sunday morning.

To a degree, this makes perfect sense.
By design, they are meant to be simple, focussed, memorable messages.

This morning I explained how God draws us to Himself and the obstacle of sin via two Thomas the Tank Engine trains held together by magnets.

Last week I spoke about John 3:16 using the framed square of carpet I proposed to my wife on.

Approximately 40 times a year I need to do a children's address in church, and, the vast majority of the time I'll look for some kind of prop to help me get my point across.

I wonder, how much would it assist aspiring preachers to be "forced" to give a years worth of "kid's talks" in order for them to see the beauty of simple illustrations, stories and points?

If every preacher spent a season, and I'm aware that many already do by default, having to look around for something applicable to their sermonette, how much better would "adult" preaching become?

No comments: