Sunday, March 6, 2016

The leader's cringe poker face

I don't think I've ever attended, and certainly not been a part of, a flawless church service. Even in the details-so-minute-that-you're-the-only-one-who-could-ever-possably-notice, something always goes askew. That's life.

And when things go wrong, I tend to cringe.

If a musician obviously plays an incorrect note...
If the singers are off key...
If a microphone causes a buzzing sound...
If the PowerPoint slides don't work or are incorrect...
If the announcements are a rambling mess...
If the points of the sermon are switched...
Whatever it is... I've probably contributed, or outright committed, the vast majority of cringe worthy moments.

But when I cringe, generally, I don't disguise it well.
It's a face-scrunching, shoulder-shrugging, obvious-for-all-to-see wince.
Truthfully, most times, I fail spectacularly at the cringe poker face.
And, usually, no one would notice.

Unless I'm up the front.

For then, the leader needs to try and maintain a calm, stony, exterior.

Especially for gaffs which would go unnoticed by all except yourself.

No comments: